View Single Post
Old 2008-08-24, 14:34   Link #253
KoiNoDensetsu
今日、海をみた。もう恐くない。

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaln00b View Post
I'm not *quite* that hopeless, as I can already copy-paste クレヨンしんちゃん well enough (and almost even read it, sort of, on a Wednesday). I was just scared because Amazon recycled the descriptive text from the American version of the comics, and the first review claims it's read left-to-right, although that could again be Amazon mashing things together. I guess a better way to phrase it is- even when Amazon messes up the product page like that, I am still actually getting the Japanese manga when I order from the *.jp site, right? (The listing I mentioned was the only one to be English-version-description-free, so I thought it was my last hope.)

Thanks for the site link, btw. Looks helpful. On a learning and somewhat topic-related note, in case it can help anyone else, what got me into wanting the Japanese manga in the first place was "Learn Japanese the Manga Way", which uses real manga panels to teach the language, and is one of the most brilliant ideas for a language course I've seen in a while. It has full references to all the manga it uses, usually including descriptions of which ones suit which level of learning. I'm also using "Kana/Kanji Pict-O-Graphix" for memorization, which has pictures in the shapes of the characters set to mnemonic phrases. Imagine mo (も) as "catch MO fish with two worms"... yeah, just try and forget that character now. I've tried.
The English description most likely refers to the ComicsOne edition, since it says at the end of the review "--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.". Amazon probably put that there because you have your settings set on English.

Also, if you click the "このレビューの作者: Crayon Shinchan 1 (ペーパーバック) " link on the English review that's available, it will take you to the English edition. Just like with the description, amazon is probably taking it from the English edition.

Basically, as long as you can see a picture of a manga with Japanese text in it, or the price is some where under 1000 yen (English manga is expensive), you can tell it's a Japanese manga.

You may want to try setting your computer up so it can type Japanese. This can actually be a usuful Japanese training method. The way a lot of Japanese keyboards work is by having you type the romaji out, and then the computer will transfer it into Japanese. For instance, type "ku", get "く". While you type out stuff in romaji, you are also helping yourself learn Japanese.

Another helpful way is to play Japanese visual novels. Since nowadays, most visual novels have their dialouge spoken, as well as in text, you will eventually get to understand characters if you try reading them when they are spoken, instead of skipping trying to read the dialogue.
KoiNoDensetsu is offline   Reply With Quote