View Single Post
Old 2012-03-13, 22:02   Link #142
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Chapter 12
Great chapter, and glad to see you updating again. You've offered quite a number of fascinating developments with Sayaka this time, and the Emperor Jinnai/Homura and Sayaka alliance chain is turning out to be very dynamic and exciting.

First, to cover the both the canon storyline and the Canon Couples ending: on the thread in general, it continues to be engaging re-experience of the original story, with some pleasing deeper insight into Madoka's personal thoughts. I was also surprised to run across the Canon Couples ending here, which actually turned out to be one of the happiest or most satisfying I could imagine for this story--minus simply the death of Mami, of course. One thing which I found interesting was that the requirement for this ending required a mere +1 affection level with Sayaka, otherwise rewarding readers/players who would have stuck very closely to the original sequence of events in the story. I know if I had played this far into the game while remaining on the canon plotline, I would probably have qualified for this ending and been very happy that I did.

Onto the other threads of Sayaka-centric development. The developments following the results of 12B (Making Amends) are extremely fascinating, a definite setback/strain on Sayaka and Madoka's relationship after what Madoka did. Back in the immediate aftermath of 12B, I did feel Madoka had stepped over the line in making such a presumptuous declaration in place of Sayaka, so this was yet another well-executed logical but unexpected development. Sayaka has essentially told Madoka to butt out here regarding her Puella Magi life/decisions, but I wonder how well she'll be able to really handle the conflict with Kyouko on her lonesome. Beyond that, Madoka in this thread has shown herself to be overtly focused on Sayaka's safety as a first priority, so I wonder to what degree she'll really be able to respect the promise she's just made if/when she gets wind of more dangerous activities on the part of Sayaka in the future. Although at this point, such intervention would likely only make her relationship with Sayaka even worse, I wonder if Madoka will feel like she has a choice or would be able to help herself.

The Thankful Sayaka route is interesting because while it seems to be the closest we are currently getting to a Sayaka x Madoka route on the Mami dies side of the storyline, it's also the one in which Sayaka's reckless and impulsive nature seem to put her most at risk. While I certainly hope there will be some way for them to come out in this route safely, Sayaka's exuberance in this plotline presently almost reminds me of Mami in episode 3. This feeling this route currently gives me is sort of like plunging full speed ahead without any brakes, with Sayaka having entered full battle mode against Kyouko/other Puella Magi and Madoka's full support. Although I'm full of uncertainty about whether things will be able to turn out happily, it makes for a very interesting thread.

Finally, the Emperor Jinnai section was so exciting that it actually almost felt too short. I'm impressed with the extent of Jinnai's abilities such that even Homura's timestop abilities have to come into play. It seems like this route is much more action/battle oriented compared to the others, which have romance, but this bit of something different makes these Mami dies chapters also a very engaging read. Two thoughts which are sitting in my head regarding this plotline: 1) having already established an alliance, will Sayaka/Madoka/Homura be able to bring in Kyouko? and 2) with Homura's timeline reset as a last resort/ultimate weapon, what will she think about this timeline's events.

Actually, thinking about it now, compared to Homura's timelooping abilities Madoka's skills (when she's a normal magical girl) seem somewhat plain. Although her massive firepower capable of singlehandedly taking on Walpurgisnacht (lol, sorta making Madoka the "tank" of their current party) is certainly important, with Jinnai seemingly able to rival the sheer amount of Madoka's energy, Homura's more unique skills seem more key. Although I would be perfectly happy if this timeline focused a bit more on Homura, I also wonder if you have any plans for any (with potentially either minor or major impacts on the storyline) secondary abilities Madoka might have gained as a result of her wish.

Good work on the chapter! I'll be looking forward to the next.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote