View Single Post
Old 2010-12-15, 19:16   Link #97
Salt
the cynic

I have no idea how I missed your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I have issues with TVtropes' definition of Kuudere as well, namely that they consider it a sub-type or spin-off of the tsundere. A kuudere may or may not also be a tsundere.

A tsundere may act "cold" towards people, but she does so intentionally - Hitagi from Bakemonogatari is a good example. Many kuuderes act cold towards people unintentionally: see Rei (Evangelion), Yuki (Haruhi) and Sakaki (Azumanga Diaoh).

Second, characters that employ a cold shoulder approach are generally considered tsunderes. So characters that are intentionally "kuu" like Hitagi are both tsundere and kuudere. Quite a few people, myself included, prefer to classify her as a tsundere.

Whoever wrote the Tvtropes article makes the mistake of thinking the terms tsundere, kuudere, and defrosting ice queen are distinct in modern usage - in practice, their usage overlaps. The term tsundere is still used to refer to characters that are defrosting ice queens.
Yes they do have overlapping characteristics, but IMO they are distinct enough to have their own terms.

Tsundere -
While sweet and nice on the inside, normally keeps a aggressive, hash, and sometimes comically violent exterior as a sort of coping mechanism for feelings they not quite sure how to deal with.
Type B is a special case of the Tsundere, where the feelings that Tsundere can't cope with is coming only from one person, normally the love interest. Hence she/he appears nice to everyone except the love interest.

Kuudere -
Similar to Tsundere, but with a different coping mechanism. Instead of being aggressive and actively abusive, the Kuudere puts up a cold, apathetic, uncaring, aloaf front.

(defrosting) Ice Queen -
Unlike the Kuudere, the cold hash exterior isn't a facade. Inside they really are bitter and broken people that have lost all empathy for the rest of the human race, but they can be defrosted over time and become friendlier person over the course of the story.

Another difference between Tsundere and Kuudere is the way they react when angered.
  • Tsundere will go into a "fire all missiles" mode against the target of her anger.
  • Kuudere will normally just shoot a snark, pointed remark that pieces the target's heart like an icicle.

Then there is their reaction when flustered, like when it comes to romance.
  • Tsundere will over-react and angrily deny anything of the sort.
  • Kuudere will just coldly call you an idiot and just walk away.

Of course, these archetypes are not all encompassing, there will be characters that have a mix of the above characteristics and don't strictly fit into either catergory, but are not common enough to be a named archetype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Well.... That is quite a hard way to tell the difference between Kuuderes and Tsunderes Confused me a little to tell the difference..
See above.

If you want examples there is Code Geass for reference, where you can see the two types interact,

C.C - Kuudere
Kallen - Tsundere

Last edited by Salt; 2010-12-15 at 19:54.
Salt is offline   Reply With Quote