View Single Post
Old 2009-04-20, 01:57   Link #53
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Like others have already stated, I strongly recommend making sure you get a PSP model that can be hacked. Piracy is only a small part of what CFW ( Custom firmware ) PSP's can do. Anyone who tells you that the only reason to use CFW is piracy has either never used CFW before or only got a small taste of it.

I'll break it down for you in a simpler way that others have not done yet on this thread.

Unhacked PSP-

-Ability to play UMD PSP games
-Ability to play Mp3 Music
-Ability to play Mp4 files encoded to fit PSP screen res.
-Ability to use a net browser, ( but with cell phone text style keyboard that takes -forever to type anything )
-Updates from Sony that don't do anything.

Hacked PSP

-Ability to play UMD PSP games
-Ability to play Mp3 Music
-Tons of Homebrew for Audio edits. Play other formats. Play music while browsing the net or simultaneously playing a game. ect. ect.
-Ability to play Mp4 files encoded to fit PSP screen res. OR use Homebrew media players to play others, including MKV, avi, OGM, ect. ect.
-Ability to use a net browser, ( but with cell phone text style keyboard that takes -forever to type anything )
-Homebrew browsers that use a Grid keyboard that doesn't suck. Links 2.0 ftw.
-Dark Alex is superior. Go Go M33 updater.
-Ability to install any Homebrew program
-You can edit f0. woot. ( this means custom startup themes and a bunch of other shit. )
-Most stuff is open source. woot.
-Plugin "popsloader" allows you to play PSX games. Alot of PSX games actually run better on the PSP then the original PS1. Go figure.
-Run games from EBOOT or ISO or CSO format from memory stick
-Handle file tree using filer or similar homebrew apps to browse your PSP root on the PSP instead of needing to hook up to your computer all the time.
-Rip ISO's from UMD's.
-Watch FLV enabled sites ( youtube, crunchyroll, ect. ) with PSP tube homebrew.
-Play Homebrew games. ( and there are a lot more then you would think )
-Emulators, lots of them. Play dead systems that cannot be commercially purchased anymore. woot.
-PSP writer - Homebrew word processor.
-Recalibrate PSP controls. ( VERY FRIGGIN USEFULL. A lot of PSP games, notably FPS shooters, have terrible default controls and do not let you config them. )
-Lua Programming.
-A lot more that I don't feel like typing.

To summarize what I am saying, a non CFW PSP is just a handheld gaming device from sony with some spicy extras. A CFW PSP is basically portable linux.

Last edited by Edgewalker; 2009-04-20 at 02:09.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote