View Single Post
Old 2010-11-12, 04:30   Link #2202
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
- Ok, this may be a valid point that she agreed to defend. (How far is Ranka into the role that she has forgotten why she was exactly singing?)

The points you noted are quite good, but ony the last sentence can be a point to discuss that she agreed. All other are - for myself - questionable.
The quotes only were there to show that Ranka herself agreed to help Frontier and wasn't "volunteered" by Grace alone.

But in the end, it doesn't matter, because it's Rankas civic duty to do the best in a crisis situation to help her fellow citizens ( and in this case herself, incidentally ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I believe we have misunderstood each other somewhere. What I mean by her staying is potentially dangerous is referring to her singing rather than Leon's plan, I don't even have him or Grace in mind here. If Ranka were to sing, she wouldn't be able to tell you what would happen next, that in itself is dangerous.

Conducting field tests would take time, time that they didn't have much of considering the state of Frontier after the chaos in episode 21. Also the test would be putting not only Ranka but the army at risk since I'd imagine that the troops have dwindled considerably after that particular incident. I'm not so sure that Frontier would be able to withstand another attack from the Vajra.
Allright, that is a somewhat valid point. If we go with the train of thought of "There were no good options" in Rankas mind, it seems like a viable solution to arrive at.

The problem I see here is that it's a series of hypotheticals, which in my opinion at least, have much less weight than staying to protect the citizens of Frontier. The way you put it, it goes like "My song might not work anymore at all, so the next attack might destroy Frontier, so I might get clues as to how to stop the war if I leave and I might be not killed outright by the Vajra".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Don't forget one of the important quotes that I've repeated before:

"Everyone wants to live free, don't they?"

This reveals the idealistic plan she had for coexistence with the Vajra as well. It wasn't stated clearly but if we were to interpret this line, it would mean just that. Ranka tried to tell Alto but he obviously didn't want to hear it. This came before she stated her reasons for leaving and it seems to be the most important one.

I also made sure to say that she wasn't entirely sure if the Vajra were specifically targeting her, but it's plausible enough to believe she had somewhat of an idea as to why the Vajra keep coming. We also had the flashbacks in episode 21 when Ranka was singing to lure the Vajra, they were the same flashbacks used later to reveal the reasons for the Vajra's attacks.

Although like you said, they weren't clearly stated but there are plenty of inferences in this series that weren't clearly stated
The problem here is that I assign this line much less weight than you do. There are multiple possible interpretations to what she could have exactly meant with that line, and I think the one which you are choosing here seems to be one of the less likely ones. On the side we got explicit statements as to her purposem, which speak against the interpretation being bandied around now.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2010-11-12 at 05:21. Reason: Wrong person attributed to quote