Thread: Licensed Mouretsu Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-25, 09:30   Link #1623
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I wish this series would spent as much time explaining crucial plot points as it does detailing the technologies. I managed to get the gist of it, but was quite confused about a few things. Thanks to the novel posters who helped clear that up.

"Everything turned out alright" in the end, but I feel that was mostly thanks to luck. What if there had been plenty of genetic samples left inside the rose? Marika would have effectively screwed Gruelle over by surrendering the rose to Grunhilde's faction. In the first place, Marika had no reason to go behind Gruelle's back before even knowing anything about her intentions. Incidentally, Marika shouldn't be so quick to trust random old men, even if they look nice. She definitely betrayed Gruelle's trust. Marika's actions seems to make a lot more sense in the novel since she negotiated with Yotof after she saw the rose and understood what Gruelle's true goal was. At the time, they were in a deadlock and that was the only way to avoid needless bloodshed.

Since I haven't read the novels, I can't know for sure, but I'm under the impression the anime messed up quite a bit.
Disagree . I believe that last minute lip talking thing sounded unbelievable to the animators since much communication would have been needed in such a short amount of time. Also, it would have been in Bentenmaru's interest to establish what dialog possible with ALL sides, since there was much potential for trading of live gun fire. Marika is supposed to be a pirate, which means the end justifies the mean, not a knight for whom proper due course is more important than results. You would expect a pirate to constantly search for better deals, although in this case, better in sense for everyone and not just Bentenmaru.

Gruelle is still a child. While she would firmly believed in need to destroy the rose, I doubt she had heart for any bloodshed. What she truly wanted was an end of unnatural continuation of 'royal cloning'. The objective of Hilde seems less clear, as I don't think she wanted to make the colony ship be viewed by the public. By making the colony ship accessible to public, much of past stories by the royal family would be exposed as lie. Furthermore, the fact that Royal Family used the ship as sort of piggy bank instead of sharing the wealth with general populace wouldn't likely be accepted well by the public. I don't know what the LN says, but as far as I can tell, moving the colony ship to Serendipity seems like too dangerous a gamble for staunch traditional royalist like Hilde.

I think bringing the colony ship to Serendipity is a very good solution. It is an invaluable historical artifact, which deserves to be preserved, studied, and visited by general public. This act has merits that should go beyond whatever the interest of the royals

Lastly, I wonder whether that rose plant indeed has ran dry. Even now, you can artificially create some DNA sequence and soon they will try to insert the artificially created sequences into cells to genetically modify them. As long as organic chemicals are available, all you need to clone someone is stored memory of the DNA plus accompanying protein information ( note : this protein information is very complicated, but still you can save them in database ). If you refill needed chemicals, that plant should work indefinitely barring some malfunctions or degradation of parts, which should be replaceable. If this was something in reality, I would suspect that people made up the story and deliberately sabotaged the plant a little after getting one more children from it, a children that may help in reconciliation process as well as making Gruelle be more favorable to preservation of the entire colonyship including what is left of rose plant. I may be bringing too much of 3D reasoning into this fiction which I haven't fully read, but as far as I can understand it, other than all of them being incredibly lucky, skilled, and too much goody-2-shoe, the sequence of events and resolution of the incidence mostly feels satisfactory for me.