View Single Post
Old 2012-03-30, 21:54   Link #22
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The premise and setting of the series were fantastic. Thanks to the air of mystery created by the settings and seemingly odd character behaviors, I found myself tense at the end of each episode - but only up until around episode 6. After that, most details of the phenomenon were known. The mystery aspect of the show became cheapened by seemingly needless cliffhangers, and the horror aspect came to be defined more by gore and shock factor (such as Kouichi's dream sequences). In a way, it became predictable. It still created feelings of tension, but the gripping suspense of the earlier episodes just wasn't there. The final episodes fully departed from the graceful mystery of the beginning and went into shock violence and gore, and took things to such an extreme that it began to feel a bit ridiculous. All the same, the ending was satisfying and quite beautiful. For the total experience, I rate this as 8/10.

I haven't watched many psychological suspense/horror anime series. The only one that I can think to compare Another to is Ghost Hound. I think that Another had a much more powerful start, but Ghost Hound was able to maintain the creation of horrifying sequences even well into the series, whereas Another began to fall flat.

I'd recommend this series to those who are curious. Watch it after the sun has set for better effect.