View Single Post
Old 2008-05-25, 15:05   Link #2
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
If Inuyasha qualifies as romance, then I should be able to round up a few good suggestions. I've not seen the other two, so I'll rely on it.

Utawarerumono is show that is interesting primarily because the main character isn't a kid but an adult and treats life accordingly...thinking things through more, having regrets, and slowly stepping into relationships even. The plus side to this is largely, that since so much of the focus is on more complex personalities, the character development is much stronger in this show, than in most that are similar. On the action side, there's not only personal duels and fights, but large mass scale battles.

The Tsubasa Chronicles. A rather long series, and the action is lacking in the gore department due to the animation studio Beetrain (renown for Hack series animation). The OVAs are quite ... shocking and violent, as they are made for a different company.

Spoiler for Romance for Tsubasa:

The Vision of Eschaflowne perhaps? It is a very shonen anime, with plenty of action, the only catch is the main character is female. Don't let the poorly (perhaps one of the worst) drawn dragon in the first episode make you miss this.

Claymore doesn't have a large focus on romance, but there's a tiny bit. At least as much as Inuyasha. Action...it has plenty of. Don't let it fool you, the story really start at episode 5 and the new few episodes are amazing. The ending is weaker than I would have liked however.

Spoiler for Romance--Claymore:

Ranma 1/2 is made by the same manga writer as Inuyasha. It is more comedy, but it also blends romance and fighting. It is dated in animation style, from the early 90's, but still pretty good. The anime is very hit and miss...really good and really bad episodes.

Scrapped Princess has wonderful amazing fight scenes and the plot will keep you going. The romance takes the back seat for most of the show, but there's certainly some there.

Tales of Symphonia is a 4 part OVA, based on the game of the same name. It has decent fight scenes and there's romance...and the loss of it as a major motif.

Zero No Tuskaima...aka Zero's Familiar. It is set in a land of magician-nobles, and the main heroine is summoning a familiar (aka magical companion)...most get cool animals, dragons, salamanders, and the like...while she gets a human for the real world. Commence action/romantic tension. There's a second season as well, though I haven't seen it personally.