View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 12:46   Link #49
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Certainly Roald Dahl, but I don' think Enid Blyton or Agatha Christie will have the staying power. Boh of them were essentially writing genre fiction, and it's rare for that to stick around for more then a generation. Roald Dahl, on the other hand, had an edge to him. His books didn't really fit into a set formula (other then the fact the adults were always horrendously cruel...). They have a similar quality to Louis Carrol's Alice in Wonderland.
Agatha Christie is the best selling novelist of all time. Her drama the Mouse Trap is the longest running play of the modern era. She started writing books in the 1920's. She has been around for way more than a generation.

Now is Agatha Christie a great literary genius, of course not. But there is something to be said about writing great genre fiction too.

Also as a fan of the Sherlock Holmes and Christie's works I will say they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Doyle and Christie have both written bad and great stories.

For me Doyle's work has stronger characters. Sherlock and Watson are way more memorable than any of Christie's characters. But as far as mysteries go, as a reader I find Christie's works more fun & engaging because I have a chance of figuring them out even with her crazy ending. It's pretty impossible to figure out the mysteries in the Holmes books, because Holmes always has knowledge we as readers don't get.

I also think Harry Potter will stay relevant. Not necessarily because of its literary importance but because of its pop culture importance. It's like the Star Wars of books.

edit: Also about Holmes vs Christie novels being made into movies...well these things are cyclical. But I would argue Conan Doyle's writing lend themselves to films more.

If you think about it, it's the characters of Holmes & Watson (not necessarily Doyle's stories) that keep getting made into films/adaptions. Of course there are straight adaptions of Doyle's works, but more often than not it's iconic characters that Doyle created that get placed into new stories & situations.

Agatha Christie's characters are not as iconic. Sure we can film the same story over & over again, but it's not really necessary. The films of her works that I've seen, didn't always capture the books either (the only one I really loved was Wilder's Witness for the Prosecution).

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-09-29 at 13:07.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote