View Single Post
Old 2013-01-17, 12:04   Link #37
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
snipped

A long title usually indicates a comedy (or an attempt at one), and almost all of these do try for some laughs, though even that has exceptions. (AnoHana comes to mind, as does Moshidora.) What I'm saying is, it's no one thing. I believe there's the old adage of not judging a book by its cover? That's the short version for here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I tend to think this is sort of an internal joke among authors and publishers that became a "trend".

snipped

I don't think the "less-spectacular" plot necessarily has anything to do with the name, but many of these works are being published in the same or similar publications with similar themes and designed to appeal to similar target audiences... so they often have more in common than just the titles. Having similar titles may also be designed in small part to help connect fans of one work to other similar works they may enjoy... but that's not necessarily always the case either.
Pretty much these imo. Nearly all the 'sentence-based' titles I know of are 'love comedies' (be it slice-of-life, high school, or fantasy) (I know there are exceptions, but those that are not exceptions are generally very obvious). While some love comedies are extraordinary entertaining and may even touch on some deeper 'human' subjects (though seldom emphasized even if they do), on the whole, I would say that I never consider love comedies to be the 'top of the crop' novels. You will never get mind-blowing plots or "I am your father" twists. So it depends on what you seek in your literature. At the very least, I'll seldom be misled into thinking that one of these 'sentence-titled' book might be the next Lord of the Rings or Inception. Notwithstanding, I do enjoy a few of these, much to my own surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Infinite Stratos must be brilliant then
What's Infinite Stratos? Oh, you must have meant "同じ展開が最後まで繰り返すわけがない!? (There's no Way The Same Kind of Development Will Keep Repeating Till the End!?)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
A twitter guy have come up with this

Source
LOL! Though that will give me an impression that it's a comedy series
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote