View Single Post
Old 2013-01-22, 16:15   Link #74
kuromitsu

For me, what makes the current ED great is not the song (which is pretty good, if not something I would normally listen to), but the whole package: song, lyrics, visuals. Especially the visuals and how they connect to the song and the story itself, built around an event that we'll see in a few weeks, full of symbolism.

This new song, though... aside of being pretty bland (just my subjective opinion), it was clearly made with one purpose in mind which is Saki and Maria service. Which would be "ok, whatever" in just this one episode, but as a regular ED it's just disconnected from the actual story. I'll wait with a final opinion until I see the visuals, but I'm disappointed already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Glad I'm not alone then! I love the animation, but the song...ugh. Way too upbeat.
I don't know, have you seen the lyrics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It felt really out of place, starting so abruptly at the beginning of the episode. It was like they needed a way to condense that part of the story and chose a song over a sequence of flashbacks.
I agree about how it felt clunky and out of place, but the funny thing is, there was nothing to condense (at least, nothing Maria-related). The flashback during the song and the letter was, as far as I remember, all anime original material, except for the scenes with the kids at the matsuri. I liked the flashbacks during the letter, but I felt playing the song on its own in addition to the letter and all those flashbacks was simply gratuituous. :/