View Single Post
Old 2013-01-27, 22:13   Link #396
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
I've heard people say it's because high school is more relatable, but I don't think that a whole lot of people who bother to go to high school in Japan will just not go to college. lol
Pretty much this. But it sure is odd that some if not most Japanese don't go to college. I thought Asians place a high premium on education. And that's not even the stereotypical portrayal of Asians in the West. It's actually true to some extent, especially here in our country, where a college diploma is considered a first-class ticket to success in life.

Although, Filipino parents (in general) are much more relaxed than Asian parents are portrayed in the West when it comes to grades. All it matters to them is that their kids pass their classes (A's are better, but C's are just fine), unlike portrayals of Asians in the West (B's mean the end of the world).

On the other hand though, why bother getting a college diploma when all you have is a high school diploma in a country that can give you a decent job just as fine as a college diploma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Maybe the answer to that question will reveal another factor in why so many anime take place in high school.
To set or not to set in high school, that is the question.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote