View Single Post
Old 2006-04-13, 19:28   Link #17
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtyped
(9th, i'm in high school)
I go to school in the u.s, since it says i live in CT (the poor area , poor as in i cant even afford to go to college so wuts the point. i dont know any1 that went anyways)

lik if sum1 talks shit about u, and u go and u jump them. Than u get in trouble. I got suspended for pushin my teacher out the way caus i wanted to leave class b4 i took out my razor i had (didnt say i had tho, and i didnt get caught with it) and slashed this kid that was pisin me off. I should have the rit to fuck that kid up, and to push people who try to baricade me.
So you're saying that ... you're hopeless and will never escape from your fate, and it's ok for you to attack people with potentially deadly weapons because they say things you disagree with?

To the first, I'd call it a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you don't want to do the work to get away from it, or you don't see the paths that you can take, you won't get there. To the second ... I'd say that's both childish and morally reprehensible. But I wouldn't say so to your face, out of the pragmatic realization that you'd probably react by trying to stab me in the neck with a pencil or something stupid like that. As for the assertion that you don't need any more education, I mean no offense, but a brief examination of your writing style says otherwise . Regardless, I'm not your guidance counselor (nor your parole officer), and I'm probably not going to convince you of anything.

To the question at hand, I think it's your moral responsibility to break laws that are truly unjust. Particularly, it's your responsibility to break laws you feel are unjust when they involve the lives of other people in a direct way. However, there's a fine line between "unjust law" and "simply idiotic law", and it's important to pick your battles appropriately. I wouldn't give the "civil disobedience" label to someone driving 20 over the limit (in very many cases, speed limits are stupid laws -- particularly on US interstates), or driving drunk or recklessly firing a handgun in a city (both potentially very harmful to innocent people). I would, however, give it to a conscientious objector refusing to participate in military service, or a soldier refusing an order that he believes to be unjust.

The most important part of civil disobedience, in my opinion, is that you aren't harming others by with it. After all ... if the law you're protesting to prevents you from harming others, it's probably not going to meet the criteria for an unjust law.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote