View Single Post
Old 2008-02-23, 20:35   Link #151
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
Shana's short response to her thoughts on yuji's feelings were spot on I believe "his answer was right, but also wrong" yuji has understood what it means for him to stay, and that he needs to go (right), but he is trying to claim he has "stopped caring" about the rest since he cant do anything to help them after he's gone(wrong). Just because hes leaving doesn't mean he should stop caring simply because he can't do anything about it anymore.
I also think this is the best way to approach Yuji's recent spate of problems. Shana's right that Yuji shouldn't try to discard all his human associations, even if his fate is now, perhaps irrevocably, separated from the city. But it should be pointed out that Yuji's desire to leave is also a product of his basic desire to protect those important to him; his comments to Shana *were* off about his mom, but there's nothing Yuji does that indicates any callousness on his part. He takes care of her, takes a day off from school, and even tries to cook.

I also think his attempt at dealing with Kazumi was fine, although her reaction was certainly understandable.

All that being said, I don't think anyone *really* understands Yuji's predicament. It's been mentioned earlier in this thread that he should take more advice from folks like Margery, but Margery's as much in the dark as anyone else as to what's going on with Yuji. And I think all Shana really wants is Yuji (i.e. the human personality of Yuji she met back in season 1) to be in love with her. But Yuji himself now realizes that he's more than just a version of the Sakai Yuji that happens to have the Reiji maigo inside of him. In a lot of ways, the end of the episode only supports Yuji's position--what happens?--he gets attacked *again*, right after Shana and Yoshida criticize his desire to leave the city. I think Shana's under the delusion she can always protect him, and he can always just be the same Sakai Yuji who brought coffee up to her on his rooftop, but that's no longer in the cards.

Furthermore, it's clear that Yuji feels somewhat depressed and isolated; and why shouldn't he be? He's carrying around inside of him some bizarre device that includes a silver monster *and* another person, which happens to be the epicenter of all sorts of misfortunes and disasters. Yuji is now a marked man, pursued by both enemies without, and haunted by the strange things within himself. I think he deserves a lot of credit for trying to find a way to sort it all out, even if his attitude is a bit off right now. And I think Shana and Yoshida should actually think about showing a bit more support for him and his situation; both of them seem to be under the bizarre impression he should just amble along the status quo, where they get to see him at school, and hang out at things like the school festival.

All that being said, Yuji's problem of identity will need to be settled in a way that is more satisfactory to his original self, but also compatible with the realities of his situation.