Thread: Licensed Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 19:26   Link #248
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Don't know about Sankaku, but impressions are mixed because of lousy storyboarding and scene composition (a problem with several series from this director). Without cinematography that complements dialogue and comedy well, some viewers find themselves detached from the show, hence it's "boring".

It's a bit of a shame. The script shines through, and the visuals are gorgeous. However, a director with better technical grounding would've gone a long way toward making this fantastic.
As for myself, I'm not certain at all where this show has directing issues. It rather seems to me that the style and intent of the work is inherently such that it would somewhat fly over a lot of viewers' heads, i.e. those who are not inclined to appreciate black humour or social satire/commentary. Under this premise, it is entirely natural that some people would find significant sections of the show "boring" and there is no amount of "directing" which could remedy it. Ultimately, despite its very notable quality and worthy source material, I don't think there's any question that from the beginning this show's appeal was limited.

Which in itself is fine. In fact, from my impressions, this show has been better received than perhaps could have been hoped.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote