Thread: Licensed Tamako Market
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-07, 09:20   Link #882
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
You know, on the subject of Midori it might be a good idea to realize that the Japanese do have this concept of "Romantic Friendship" among close girl friends. (Ironically it's actually an import from America at the turn of the 19th century.)

Girls will have intense friendships that borrow the style of a romance. This is not the same thing as homosexuality. This is usually treated culturally as a phase for middle school girls, sometimes extending into highschool.

Nothing Midori has done really steps beyond those boundaries. Midori does seem to be showing a more intense level then normal, but there is no action that goes beyond a romantic friendship.
You know, good job articulating this.

The relationship between Tamako and Midori strikes me as very confused. It's definitely more that just normal friendship, but her feelings don't quite strike me as romantic either. For one thing, she seems more concerned with clinging on to her current relationship with Tamako than anything more. She loves Tamako for sure, but I don't see how that jumps to lesbianism right there and then.