View Single Post
Old 2009-06-23, 12:59   Link #81
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Now that's something I wasn't aware of! When I've heard the word used to describe females in business/politics here, it's usually in the more positive sense. For example, we have a female mayor here, and she could be described as somewhat-aggressive. But people perceive this as a good thing since "she's no push-over" and "gets things done". She's been re-elected for multiple terms. I guess maybe some people who don't like her would spin it in a bad way, but that could also be because they don't like having a woman mayor (thankfully these people are the minority). So anyway... I definitely didn't know that connotation, so sorry for hitting an unexpected hot button; I'll know for the future.
Yeah, it's a really big difference if we're talking about "agressiveness" in terms of overall attitude and outlook or if we're talking about their writing/debate style. If this were more of a forum for structured debates, then it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's a bit different when normal forum connotations are in play.

Quote:
Actually, this is a very interesting way of looking at it. I've seen forumites who post their thoughts/impressions ritualistically after every episode airs, to the extent that I sometimes wonder if they watch it in order to post. And of course there are also "episode bloggers" who post screenshots, summaries and impressions after each viewing.
In many of these cases, I would consider them to be critics, especially for the bloggers who post about every episode of a show as they watch it.

Quote:
These people may or may not be "critics", but I guess the question is, when you get into these sorts of "rituals", to what extent does that impact the way you view a show? And if so, does having these sorts of "rituals", perhaps unknowingly at first, make it harder over time to simply enjoy a show? Hmm... I guess that's sort of a "how have the forums changed the way you watched anime" sort of question. Anyway, interesting thought.
I don't know about making it harder to enjoy a show over time, but it almost has to make a difference when it comes to affecting how one watches that show. After all, watching a show because you feel like it is quite a bit different from feeling obligated to watch that show and then to write about it.