View Single Post
Old 2010-05-12, 19:31   Link #1055
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Umineko by Key would actually be a good description but it doesn't have the same LOL factor that describing the show as Code Geass by Key does.
Ah, perhaps. I just never got into Code Geass (only watched a little bit and it didn't interest me)

Quote:
Amusingly enough, Ryukishi07 credits Key as being one the major influences on his work, and he recently helped write the script to Key's upcoming game Rewrite. So there actually is a possibility that he had contact with some of the people who ended up working on Angel Beats.
Yea, I can definitely see the influences and I like it a lot since Higurashi and Key takes up a lot of space on my favorites. Aye, they must have all gone drinking and came up with it.

Quote:
(This being said, I wouldn't say that shit happens for no apparent reason in those shows... it's more like the rules of reality in the settings they occur in are just really warped.)
Yea, I understand that's the point, but the way it is executed makes it look really stupid and random. It's also for the same reason in both sides, being rushed and having too much material to cram into the allotted episodes, as well as poor use of time to get the important stuff in. It causes people to go "What the hell was the point of all this?"

Of course, I like both shows when they don't do this, and they both also have very good soundtracks, so it's not a complete wash. But I can't help but draw parallels between the shows, especially with AB's most recent episode that reminded me of Umineko's frequently abrupt episode endings. I'm afraid AB! may join Umineko in the "wasted potential" show.

edit: Then again, I don't really see "everyone" liking Angel Beats either. IMO, there was already a ton of bias against the show being a Haruhi clone, when most of the similarities are really superficial. The other thing is the show's own fault for hyping itself up so massively and naturally many were disappointed.

Actually, many of the shows listed here I can't see "everyone" liking. This thread should just be "Popular anime you hate"

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-05-12 at 20:28.