View Single Post
Old 2009-05-05, 04:15   Link #20
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Yeah, I did notice the red rings so that's definitely a plus for the argument. But then again even as Euphie was dying the Geass still influenced her mind a little, whereas with Shirley it didn't seem to influence her mind at all. Hmm, someone should really ask Okouchi about. I think that's a reasonable question and one that he would provide an answer to.

Well, it's been a very exciting day everyone, and I'm thrilled about the new thread, but I think it's time for me to call it a day. So you tomorrow and I can't wait to see what develops in this thread.
My interpretation of Euphemia's last moments was that the 'kill all Japanese' Geass on her was trying to make her attack Suzaku, but the fact that she loved him was enough for her to fight back, and then either repress or outright break the Geass, just like Nunally did for the Emperor's Geass on her eyes on Damocles.

As far as the difference in the actions of Shirley and Euphemia in their final moments? I chock it up to dramatic necessity, rather than to a coherent intention on the nature of Geass's effects. Each girl needed to focus on declaring their feelings for their loved one before the proverbial fridge door was closed.

It's similar to how people explain Euphemia and Nunally's resistences to Lelouch's Geass as a person being able to resist a command that is "particularly contrary to their nature, or abhorrent to their beliefs." The first thing that pops into my mind when I read this was the smiles on the faces of the very first group of soldiers Lelouch Geassed to die in each season's opening episodes, and the other instances where Lelouch orders people to kill themselves as part of the commands he gives. None of these people seem to resist, so unless all of them were seriously contemplating suicide, then we should have seen them show fear and resistence, rather than the sheer elation that we did see.

It was simply a means of delaying the effects of the Geass and thereby adding drama by letting the implications of what just happened sink in for the audience so to speak, and the the presence of a Geass command that could..."interfere" with Shirley and Euphemia's ability to confess their feelings had to be ignored, or at least ignored dramatically.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote