View Single Post
Old 2010-06-04, 15:13   Link #10805
Vega Lyra
<Congratulations>!!!!
*Artist

Euk, reading this thread is like reading a maths textbook all over again. No possible motives, just 'who did it' and that's it. X_X

Since I could not find any other place suitable for what I am going to say, I will post it here. I'd like to express my opinion on why there is a letter from 'Beatrice', why the plaque below the portrait of Beatrice exists.

I believe it has to do with Kinzo's will.

In the very beginning of EP1, Nanjo tries to persuade Kinzo to write a will. Kinzo is very much against that, as he finds his chlidren greedy and grandchildren unworthy. However, he later on seems to agree. (I think this scene really happened, but a year or so preceding the actual events of '86.)

From here on, it's my educated speculation:
Kinzo, knowing he only had a few months left, commissioned a painting of his beloved Beatrice and composed the riddle himself. The painting was to give an image of the witch of the island. Perhaps Kinzo knew about his children's financial problems, or could foresee them.
I'm very much sure that Kinzo himself wrote and sealed the letters, storing them away until a pre-planned date or event.

Kinzo then placed the following in his will - when he dies, during the next family conference, the following must be carried out:
1. Shannon will deliver the first letter bearing Kinzo's crest, to Maria under the guise of Beatrice.
2. Maria reads the letter to the family after dinner has finished, this letter will encourage the family members to put their heads together in order to find the gold.
3. If the family does not succeed, an explosion will occur after 2 days, taking everything of the Ushiromiya family as interest for Beatrice, as well as the gold. (I'm sure Kinzo would have wanted this, if there was no one fit to succeed him. He was a very proud man.)

I'm sure that only Genji, Shannon and Kanon know about Kinzo's will. Hence their one-winged crest on their uniform. Nanjo does not show any signs of knowing anything about this will.

What I don't get is how Kinzo would have foreseen the typhoon. And I'm sure that Kinzo, or whoever composed the letters, did not intend for any of the murders to happen. And of course, please remember this is all speculation.