View Single Post
Old 2012-01-31, 04:23   Link #3696
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I agree with you on that. I'd love to rage at the writers myself.

For one thing,
Spoiler for again:
There are still curveballs coming in that series, but I think it is not unlikely that they will play it straight in the end.

Quote:
Let me tell you something that is hard to comprehend about that quote: which movie?
Actually both.

Quote:
This is one thing I hated most about Itsuwari no Utahime. Because the movie is 90% recycled footage, they blended her series personality into her new movie personality. Take into account that the whole Griffith Park scene is unchanged (outside of Sheryl's appearance at the end). Had they rewritten the dialogue at least, perhaps that stronger Ranka whom is shown not but 5mins later having entered the Miss Macross competition, it would've come off better. But throughout the movie, they returned to Ranka's series personality. An example would be the argument with Michael. This is why I find the whole "series to movies" a bit confusing for the first movie. Looking at her personality in Sayonara no Tsubasa, she's completely different from the first movie, no longer showing her series personality. However, her tie to the plot was completely lost. Instead, Brera and Grace are directly tied and thus Sheryl was thrown into the center when she had no tie in the first place. I felt like that kinda rewrote the whole story.
I agree that Ranka was kind of floating around in the story of the second movie, with much less of a tie to the overall plot. However, that doesn't diminish how much she grew in personality during both movies. Ranka from the movies basically managed to avoid all the pitfalls which Ranka from the series stumbled into and proved herself as someone who cared about more than just herself and was willing to sacrifice herself in an immediate, direct way for the good of her home. She didn't run away from her problems and she showed loyalty to everybody around her. Those were big plusses in my book.

Quote:
Regardless, I don't quite understand why people dislike Ranka's series self. It wasn't bad. She was a normal girl whom lived in a society where she was protected from all the serious dangers (including the issues with war). She had a brother whom had a sister-complex. How is that her fault? But even so, how is she all that different from a normal teenager? That is what made me like her. So what that she had a childish side to her that was present a lot? We all like to be children sometime. I'd like to meet one person who hasn't acted like that once in a while. She still showed growth. For example, standing up to Ozma and deciding to leave with Brera for her own path. Even deciding to stand on the battlefield twice of her own volition even though she didn't know the path to take.

I say one thing: if you compare her to Minmei, you are just sick.
She's so different from Minmei that there's no comparison. Attitude, possibly; but how she handled the war and crush for Alto was completely different from Minmei. It hurts that people even think that way.

So I have to say that overall, my love for her has grown over both universes.
I love both of her personalities.
I'm not sure if it would help much if I'd rehash all my problems with Ranka from the series. I've gone so extensively on about them in the past and I'd rather think of Ranka as the movie version. No need to reheat all that old resentment.

Quote:
My dislike for Sheryl slowly faded into respect. Not the movie verse Sheryl but rather the series. In the movie, I felt like Sheryl came off as too much of a saint. I can't find the human in her in that verse. No one is that selfless. But regardless, I have grown to have a respect for her series self that accepted her limitations and still tried to push on. I'm not saying that she didn't in the movie verse, but her reactions weren't the same. Instead, she came off as more of a different character altogether. The character of Sheryl I knew in the series did not travel into the movies. No matter how much I dislike a character, I'd at least like to see them travel from one universe to the other without seeming like a completely different character. Regardless of my respect, I still don't like her with Alto.

Hell, if Alto stays gone and Sheryl and Ranka remain together forever, I'm all for that. They do understand each other like soulmates.

(Don't get me wrong, I ain't a yuri fan. I prefer Alto and Ranka but Sheryl and Ranka is my backup on a bad day.)
That's interesting, I think that the movie version of Sheryl was rather less of a selfless character than the Sheryl from the series... who to me still stands as a paragon of self-sacrifice and compassion among anime characters.

Quote:
And finally, wow. You really wouldn't have minded if her movie (SnT only) personality had ended up with Alto? That's a nice thing to say.
Ranka from the movies was a genuinely good and selfless person. If there wasn't Sheryl around, she'd be a very good match for Alto.