View Single Post
Old 2012-12-15, 16:19   Link #15
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I see your point about long-time visitors having too much impact
To be honest, I don't. Since the decision is final I'm not arguing against it, but as far as discussion goes... Mentar, you're a member from 2003; do you remember when we first joined the site? It took forever to get an extra box because everyone's "rep-giving power" was limited to one or two points. Having two boxes was a big deal; three was huge. Since then there's been major point inflation, with newly-joined members easily accumulating enough "rep points" to catch up to and exceed the amount of "rep points" held by older members. Consider that new members pretty much only need around 10 positive reps to gain an extra box, where we needed closer to 100 when we were new. There were also fewer members on the site to hand out rep. But now we seem to be reaching the system's maximum, with my account and many others seemingly having hit the maximum number of green squares that can be achieved. I don't know the exact numbers, but the amount of "rep points" added or subtracted through my account don't seem to be so great compared with accounts that are a bit younger. So an account that's one year old doesn't have as much point-giving potential as one that is ten years old - is that a big deal? Doesn't it encourage user longevity? And if it really is a big deal, can't the point-giving power be adjusted, instead of trashing the whole system?

synaesthetic raises a good point about the usefulness of the system. I'll miss that aspect.

My only request is that we not replace this with those systems of up-voting and down-voting individual posts.