View Single Post
Old 2008-02-26, 01:35   Link #146
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakbunnie27 View Post
And it's not like the fansubbers saying "our tl is great" when they release because it's self-proclaimed.
Isn't there anyway for the fans ignorant of Japanese -> English know how good the tl for each fansub is?
It depends on how you look at it. You're right, leechers will not know when "kakkoii otoko" should be translated as "good-looking guy", but is instead subbed "cool guy". But that's borderline nitpicking with English AND Japanese words. And not a real test of a translator's abilities.

A "good" translation will be noticed by leechers no matter how retarded they are (arguably the retarded ones will better know the difference). For example, the concept of manzai with the tsukkomi and boke interaction is notoriously hard to translate to English. The difference between good and bad translations is whether it makes sense to a leecher with absolutely no knowledge of Japanese culture. As a leecher, I see a lot of lazy translations that spells out "tsukkomi" and flashes a wikipedia link, believe it or not that does say something about quality that anyone will recognize.

It is a moot point, as ScR3WiEuS says. When I spend 2 hours translating a part of my VN that takes 20 min to play, I'm not thinking of leechers and what satisfaction they will derive when we release. As many of you said, you "fansub for the sake of fansubbing".