View Single Post
Old 2008-06-08, 08:15   Link #25
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I'm dragging Westlo's and Swampstorm's posts from ep. 10 discussion thread to here.
Aw, man! I didn't want to be dragged in here!

Quote:
Alto and Ranka do have the same mentality. They both have this "I'm not good enough" way of thinking. They both have self-esteem issues, though Ranka was shown to have overcome it a bit in this episode. That's the sole reason why I said, Alto and Ranka relate more in terms of mentality.
When you're still a teenager, there's nothing all that unusual about having self-esteem issues, nor is it unusual to latch on to the first thing that gives you the slightest bit of encouragement. Codependant relationships aren't quite so cute anymore once you move out of that phase of your life, though.

Relationships are built off of common interests and shared ideals, rather than on mutual pity. What we need to see is more development from Ranka in understanding Alto's passion for flying, or in why he needs to fight (one thing that she'll need to overcome here is her fear of loss, seeing how Ozma was forced to keep his piloting a secret for all these years in order to avoid making Ranka's trauma recurr). In short, the part that needs to be developed next is why Ranka wants to be with Alto, rather than why she doesn't want to lose him.

Quote:
About Wesley84's favorite thing--Sheryl's earring, I think that ties in more to Sheryl and not to Alto
My point was that if something happens to Sheryl, then it doesn't really matter how great of a couple she makes with Alto.

I'm a pessimist when it comes to things like this.