View Single Post
Old 2008-12-12, 14:47   Link #19
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Wait, a scientist is actually getting respect in political circles? Hn, maybe there's something to this "hope" stuff after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Or reduce energy consumption and stop being the world's biggest polluter.
I can't find statistics for total pollution, but China passed the US in absolute carbon dioxide production last year (of course, we're still higher per individual). Taking into account that even the US' fairly lax environmental standards seem strict compared to China's and how many companies have moved production to China partly because of those standards, and I think it's reasonable to believe that the US is no longer the world's biggest polluter in absolute terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Man, I believe they haven't signed Kyoto yet??
Gore signed it symbolically back in '98, but Clinton didn't submit it to Congress. Congress had passed a resolution (unanimously) saying that the US shouldn't sign any bill of like the Kyoto Protocol which didn't include binding targets and timetables for developing nations as well. Bush has used pretty much the same excuse.

While I would like the US to sign onto the Kyoto Protocol, for the symbolism if nothing else, isn't the Protocol pretty near to the end of its lifespan? As in, wouldn't it be pretty much impossible for any new signatories to meet the standards in the time left?
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote