View Single Post
Old 2013-01-12, 15:07   Link #20
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Akane's inability to shoot does bring up a lot of issues. After all that method of action is heavily discouraged and arguably outlawed in some cases with a sybil system that objectively judges them.

But even considering that such an action contradicts her many years of training and society has taught her its wrong, it goes beyond that.

She does not know how to shoot. Learning about something like this in school, especially when it shows that they are reliant on computers to draw data is far different from actually picking it up and aiming properly becomes a nearly impossible task.

It's like if I tossed you a longbow and told you that you have 5 seconds to accurately shoot a guy that's behind a hostage. Chances are you might not even be able to hold the damned thing properly. It's an archaic, unfamiliar situation that would require prior knowledge.

And so what we get here is that the people of this society aren't able to learn and adapt as fast. They will freeze and fail once handed a situation they can't handle, because they've been taught a certain rigid way of how thinks work. Once a single person steps outside the system... uh oh.

So I feel that was the point. Akane is actually brilliant and willing to do the right thing. She did what anyone in her position could have possibly done given her abilities. She would have shot him dead, like any good person or protagonist would. She is constantly aiming to do the right thing, and it's not like she's bound to the rules like Ginoza is. But this is why this anime is well written-- you don't get to ass pull your way out of these situations.

It's not her fault, but she has to take the guilt in anyways. And that's what sucks and will set the tone up for the 2nd half.

Also, Kougami's actions in episode 11 provide a great contrast.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews