Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2007-02-01, 09:13   Link #223
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
It can get hard for reasons you may not expect. There's the deposit, plus up-front rent, plus key money, plus whoknowswhat, plus... etc. One apartment might be more spacious for the same price, but has practically zero insulation. Another deal might seem to be good to be true, but is a genuinely good deal because it's numbered wrong (superstition is powerful in some places). One place might not want to rent to gaijin, another might rent to them but expect them to park somewhere else, and another might want to charge more... And these are just a few light-hearted examples pulled from memory.
I'm not particularly ignorant of the intricacies of the Japanese rental system (and I've had about 4.5 years of japanese), so I'm well aware of key-money (rei-kin), pre-rent, real estate agent fees, etc... And I'm pretty sure the university will act as my guarrentor.
One question I have: should I live at aome short-term (week to week) gaijin house while I search for a more permanent apartment, or maybe just rough it at 24 hour internet cafe's till I get a place? I wonder how long it'd really take to find an apartment in tokyo... I'd hope not more than a few weeks.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote