View Single Post
Old 2011-12-23, 10:48   Link #57
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post

Honestly, I was expecting a less cogent finale considering who is at the helm. I'm glad it all scans in the end, although there are still plot points which feel like they were more or less dropped midway through, mostly involving Mario and PotC.
Yeah, I strongly agree with this.

The symbolism is pretty thick, and I have yet to attempt to decipher it all, but I honestly don't care much because:

1. The anime goes full circle in a nice and clear-cut way.

2. The basic jist of what happened to the characters themselves is fairly clear. You don't necessarily need to get all the symbolism in order to get what happened to all the most important characters.

However, I do feel that Mario, PotC, and Double-H were left hanging a bit when all was said and done. It just occurred to me that in PotC's case, we still don't really know the exact nature of the connection between her and Momoka. That's been left entirely to fan speculation it seems.

Part of me still would have preferred a lasting Shouma/Ringo romance at the end, but what we did get was pretty good. Himari certainly seems better off now than she was at the start of the anime, and Ringo appears happy as well.

Given the actions he had engaged in, I don't think Kanba deserved a "Happily Ever After" ending, to be blunt about it. So this was probably the best possible ending for his character: He achieves his passionate dream of saving Himari at all costs, and that means that he sacrificed himself.

Part of me thinks that Shouma deserved a happier ending, but perhaps there needs to be a bit of bitterness in this bittersweet ending in order for it to not feel like an overly happy copout. Also, there's something poetic and fitting about Kanba and Shouma fading away together. It makes it seem a little less sad for each of them, I think.

With this ending, I would now consider MPD one of the five best anime of 2011, and it was probably the most creative anime of 2011. It's been a great ride, from start to finish.