View Single Post
Old 2016-06-21, 22:50   Link #9
Darthtabby

Given the way they've been billed, I'm inclined to think the Windermereans are intended to be sympathetic antagonists. As such, I'm inclined to question many of the assumptions people make about them. Like mass mind control enslavement of the entire cluster being their end game objective, or that "we will annihilate the earthlings and those allied with them" should be assumed to mean genocide instead of "we'll crush their military." It's possible people's assumptions are correct and I'm wrong, but why should I rush to a conclusion when the series hasn't finished yet?

The "true heirs to the protoculture belief" is troubling, but frankly up until Gramia mentioned it last episode Roid was the only Windermerean who talked like that. The knights seem more concerned with the WMD that destroyed one of their cities and messed up their planet. Keith outright thinks the idea that Windermereans are the true heirs of the protoculture is bs. I suspect if Windermere had the weapons they have now at their disposal back then, they would have driven the NUG/NUNS out of the cluster right then and there rather than waiting seven years.

(And yes, their methods are bad, but I find it kind of hard not to sympathize with a group that's been hurt that badly. I suspect having your people mass murdered with a WMD that scarred your planet to the point where you can literally feel it is the kind of thing that can trample moral qualms about retaliatory methods into the dust.)

As for the NUN, I wish the NUN rep had been portrayed as cold and ruthlessly pragmatic rather than as an over the top smirking douchebag. I think NUNS has to take the threat Windermere poses to the cluster seriously, and I can see a certain logic in the NUNS plan to destroy the ruins since they're so important to the Windermerean plan. On the other hand, these off worlders are making a decision that could jeopardize the lives and environment of the Ragnans rather than leaving that decision to the Ragnans themselves. Which kind of backs up the Windermerean assertion that NUNS doesn't deal with the locals on equal terms.

I don't agree with everything Thess argues, but I do think she made a good point when she said that Chaos are the good guys in this series, not NUNS.