View Single Post
Old 2012-07-04, 22:38   Link #29564
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
You're right. The thing is, Umineko doesn't take this approach. The way it's narrative structure was set up, either one thing is true, or EVERYTHING is true. There is nothing to indicate that Ange's 1998 can branch into alternate continuities while the Gameboards are still just "fictions".
Well I'm not so sure about that, in the beginning I expected Umineko to be consistent and only use one way or another, but after EP8 I wouldn't bet my money on it.

The main problem I see here is that the fictions of the gameboards are justified. Not only they represent actual fictional stories that were found in prime, but there is a meaning behind them, a reason for them to have been written.

What would be the reason and the justification behind what we've been shown regarding Ange in 1998, if it wasn't real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Magic scenes happening outside of fiction makes no sense whatsoever. Even if this is a sort of figurative auto-biography, it remains a fiction.
You haven't seen "fight club"? Or "dancer in the dark"? Or... "higurashi"? Just because you see things through the eyes of a characters that mixes illusions with reality it doesn't mean that it's all fake or that it's all fiction. You don't need a fictional interpretation at all. And in fact practically nobody did before EP6 made it blatantly obvious.
It isn't true that it doesn't make sense, it does in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
Edit : I'd also like to mention that even if any of us ended up in "prime", we potentially could never actually verify the existence of Rokkenjima. It's not on any maps. No ships ever goes there. We know the general area but it's likely we could never find the given island. It's landmaks are either destroyed or hidden to the point that sibblings who searched them all their lives couldn't find it. So you probably would fail at it too.
If you mean that no one could possibly verify its existence it's not true. We know that Erika went near it with a pleasure boat. You just need one yourself, I'm sure the coordinates of this island were leaked and at any rate it was said it was about 30 mins from Niijima. If one really wanted, he could find it.

However if you mean that the common person couldn't verify its existence, well... the mere fact that the authorities and official channels claim it exists isn't what people would normally consider proof enough of something existing?

I could say the same for any crime reported by newspapers. What proof do you have that those crimes happened except for what newspapers tell you? Of course you could check if you wanted... but you don't.

About the map issue: there are maps of Rokkenjima, but Rokkenjima can't be found in maps. I don't think the maps of Rokkenjima are sold to the public... except maybe they were after the incident, you know... but before that, there was absolutely no market for those.
This issue however would become moot as soon as Google earth was released in the prime universe of Umineko.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote