Thread: Apple IPad
View Single Post
Old 2010-02-16, 22:07   Link #106
MukiEX

Quick bit: Notion Ink released a spec sheet right before MWC, and the big announcement is options for Android/Ubuntu/Chromium OS, which hopefully means it'll be very "open" to custom OS's (e.g. unsupported but unimpeded).

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Before declaring the Notion Ink tablet to be the winner
Yeah, I probably mis-spoke there. I want a Qi3, video accel, and HDMI out on a tablet. While the Adam is the first device that's announced those features, and I'm easily open to other options. There's a lotta time between now 'n June.

Quote:
And apparently the Tegra's GPU doesn't support VDPAU, so mplayer (assuming Notion Ink does what they said earlier and allows you to change the Linux distro on the device) won't help out very much...
In general, the VDPAU/VAAPI stuff seems to be more geared toward x86. On ARM devices, gstreamer seems to be the current standard (Like Tegra 2, open-source OMAP3 devices use TI-Openmax, which connects to gstreamer). At the moment, the players are limited to, well, Totem, but at least it's fansub-friendly

Quote:
Combine all that with a 500GB USB HDDs full of fansubs and you've got yourself a very portable and very capable fansub-ready HTPC for around $600.
Noted. However, I really am looking for something in the tablet form factor. I'd go with Asus's T91 if it wasn't running a desktop OS with no real touch optimizations (the outright disgusting driver situation isn't helping either).

Ubuntu proper hasn't really made an honest effort in tablet optimization, either. MID and Netbook Remix look abandoned, and neither is really anything that resembles "complete" for that form factor.

In all honesty I'm hoping that Maemo (or its successor, MeeGo) is up and running on Tegra 2 devices by June with DSP support 'n OpenGL ES. It has a real Linux environment (Quake 3 was ported, for instance), is intuitive and touch-friendly (even w/o multi-touch capabilities), and has a fully-featured player (with DSP support and healthy codec/container options) in the repositories. Add to that NTFS support (repos again, I'm not sure it's official) for said USB drive, and you have a much nicer mobile device environment than Android can provide.

Last edited by MukiEX; 2010-02-17 at 01:17.
MukiEX is offline   Reply With Quote