View Single Post
Old 2018-06-04, 11:44   Link #1
False Prophet
Suffer in Lake of Fire

Some sad musing about the life cycle of anime and manga

Just visited Akihabara last weekend. The previous time I did this was in 2009, almost 10 years ago. I couldn't recognize the streets.

Anyway, I just have this questions want to talk to you guys, especially those who read/watch a lot of the old stuffs:

There have been hundreds of new anime and manga released each years for more than two decades now. Let's just say that you're a creator, you pour your soul into an anime or manga of yours. What would you feel after twenty, or thirty years, people just plainly forget about your work?

I'm not blasting the mass-production aspect of manga/anime production or anything, and I am all in for competitiveness. It is just that I feel sad for the creators. I did some writing back in college before giving up because I plainly didn't think my work is memorable enough. But here, even with anime & manga that are loved by their audiences during broadcast, could still easily be completely forgotten twenty years later. For all the efforts and self-reflection the creators have spent, it is a crying shame.

To me, it is like literature - hundred thousands of amazing new books being released every year, each of them is a mirror to aspects of our lives. They are worthy of preservation, and yet, how many would actually have the privillige of being read by future generations? And it was not always because they were bad - maybe they were written in one of the dying languages, or the publisher screwed up the marketing, or people would rather forget the topics they were discussing, etc.

Anyway, I should stop before sounding too much like a cranky old man who is projecting his problems onto other matter. What is your thought, then?
False Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote