View Single Post
Old 2018-06-06, 09:22   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
And not only has enough time passed for pretty much everyone to completely forget the original Hollywood and all of its Stars
Speak for yourself. I don't know what period constitutes the "original Hollywood" in your mind, but there are plenty of us still alive who remember Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, Elizabeth Taylor, or even Harold Lloyd and Charlie Chaplin. I saw people like Stewart and Taylor when they were still alive; movies with Gable, Lloyd, and Chaplin were replayed on television in the fifties and sixties.

Now I don't have much experience with the silent movie era. I've watched some silents, "Birth of a Nation" in particular, but I can't say I can name any great stars from that period.

I've found that younger people seemingly have little interest in or awareness of the vast repertoire of movies made before, say, 1980. My daughter would often tell me that her friends hadn't seen or even heard of movies that we watched together because I made sure she saw a broad array of films. I can understand people not knowing about obscure gems like Peter Bogdanovitch's "Paper Moon," but many of her friends growing up had never seen, and often never heard of, signature films like "2001," "The Graduate," or even "Casablanca" and "Gone with the Wind."

You can't keep older works alive if you don't pay attention to them.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2018-06-06 at 13:37.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote