View Single Post
Old 2008-11-07, 13:12   Link #81
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordes Pilosus View Post
Slayerx, your a little off on the Tragic Past thing. What we have gotten from Hancock now is not the same flashback as the ones of those that becomme strawhats. It was more a illustration of her story, and it was what. 2 Pannels ? But that last image in the chapter surprised me. Hancock actualy seamed to blush. But i also noticed that even in this Chapter Margaret did get alot of attension.
I said tradgic past, not tradgic flashback...
what the tragic past means is that there is the possibility that they might go into detail over it in a several chapter long flashback...
a little like how Brooke at the beginning of thriller bark mentioned that he was died along with his crew and was sailing alone for year, but it wasn't until the end of the arc that he went into a detailed flashback about it

though again, the tragic past, without a flashback puts the likelihood of joining the crew still very much non-existent

grant it though... i should probably make a point that the tragic past is supposed to not be just tragic but also have an upswing such as the past event is what drives their desires and dreams... Boa's past doesn't seem to have a such an upswing in that it only serves to illustrate her shame and hatred for men and no big dream of her own...
Quote:
Well basicly Boa's past does not help her much towards joining the crew. Margaret is stil a higher chance of that. But Hancock might be the "reason" that Margaret joins with Luffy.
no she doesn't... margaret hasn't shown a single sign of a potential strawhat.
no known role in the crew, no big dreams she must sail to accomplish, no tragic past... Luffy has not expressed interest in having her join his crew, She hasn't really had any kind of heart warming "moment" with Luffy... she has yet to fill out any such prerequisite. Boa atleast got the tragic past

And even the theory of Boa wanting to margaret to join Luffy as a body guard or even a Haki trainer wouldn't fill the prerequisites... Margaret needs HER OWN reason to join the crew and needs to want to be a strawhat at her own volition... take for instance both Sanji and Franky, despite how much Luffy wanted them to join his crew he was not willing to take them unless they themselves came to him and asked to be taken to the sea; as hard as Luffy pushes to take someone, he will only want people on his crew that really want to be on his crew... she might say she will willingly go if Boa asks, but i think Luffy would refuse since Margaret would be going for Boa's sake and not truly her own... really, margaret joining the crew only because boa told her so kind of sullies her "strawhat-ness"

frankly, i think a good sign for margaret to join would have been her expressing her desire to become as strong and as beautiful as Boa while at the same time having a fierce desire to go out to sea to see the rest of the world... though i'm not sure what they could throw in as a heart aching, life changing flashback... Also i would have felt better if Margaret had actually WITNESSED how hard Luffy fought for her and what he did for the Boa sisters even though he was; that would have really help set up that "moment" of friendship between her a Luffy

i guess i shouldn't talk like it's impossible for margaret to express all of these things afterword from this point on; but at the very least from a storytelling perspective, it could have all been set up much better... such as throwing down signs of a bad past and a big dream eariler on, or again, her watching Luffy fight for her

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
But what is Hancock going to do about her Shichibukai status and the Marine demands for her help fight against Whitebeard? Luffy still doesn't know about this - I think he'll be rather surprised Hancock is a Shichibukai. I suspect she wanted it to give her power/protection and basically ignored the WG/Marine requests until now - she wouldn't want to obey a bunch of WG men.

Perhaps she and the rest of the crew on the ship (which will certainly include Margaret) will get dragged into the war along with Luffy. I think she will quickly decide (at some point) that her Shichibukai status will no longer be of any value. Instead, to protect the island, it may be better to actively rebel against the WG instead...
i think the opposite actually... boa's best chance to keep the island safe would be to fight with the world gov't and maintain her status. unless she thinks that the world gov't can be completely toppled, her joining on whitebeard's side will just be opening up the chance of the marines hitting her island with a buster call.

thoguh i do think it's possible that Boa fears going to battle against Whitebeard in that such a battle could be so intence that it might expose her or her sister's backs

Last edited by Slayerx; 2008-11-07 at 13:27.