View Single Post
Old 2012-09-22, 15:02   Link #19
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Given that he was already logged in with a GM account I don't see why he would be required to do anything like hacking in the first place. The visual representation of it was pretty funky though. You'd expect it to look like a normal computer UI, Windows or something.
Yeah, I think that's really the main thing, and why I called it "hacking". At first he's just typing and there's no screen. And then later screens appear, but it's like The Matrix - just random symbols. I have no doubt that the ability to do this is possible with the level of credentials he had, but I don't think he could have known what to type because he would never have used that particular system before (particularly when there's no display!). As you say, if it was like a normal computer AI -- or more realistic, an SAO UI that just had additional Administrator options like you'd normally expect -- then no problem. Perhaps he could see things in his own NerveGear display that we couldn't see?

So yeah -- I think it's just the way it was presented that's a bit odd. The idea that he could use the GM access to access protected functions, I can buy.

Edit: Other than that... I guess this episode sheds a bit more light on the game's apparent development process. Obviously the team programming this game had expected that they would need player monitoring and assistance as part of the normal operation, hence why they build an empathic AI like Yui. But then, with Kayaba's sudden move, all the rules changed, and Yui's purpose was eliminated. So, in case there was any doubt, it clarifies what Kayaba's goal was: it's like a science experiment -- you initiate the situation, and then just watch to see what happens without interfering. Even the whole operation of the world is apparently left in the hands of the AI. Pretty twisted, but we already knew that...