View Single Post
Old 2013-02-19, 06:42   Link #238
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Nice to see this thread revived.

We've come full circle. After Ep17, the Psycho-Pass universe (criminal brains!) has become a virtual analogue of the dystopia presented in The Minority Report (psychic brains!). I suppose it's inevitable that it would end up this way. I had hoped for something more mind-bendingly original but, oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

I'm far too out of the loop, and in any case too caught up with real-life issues, to jump back into the discussion now. I'll just say that an interesting tangent to explore would be the role of emotions in our concept of "morality", what is right, what is wrong, what is justice.

It has been sometimes argued, by some forum members in the past, that emotions are a liability. If only people were less emotional (the "ewww" factor on many matters of sexual morality, for example) and more logical, we wouldn't have to deal with so many intractable problems. Or so they say.

Well, as a thought experiment, why not try seeing how far that would go? What would a world devoid of troublesome emotions look like?