View Single Post
Old 2011-02-18, 15:12   Link #3010
ChainLegacy
廉頗

My take with this discussion is, if we had modern-day animation, we'd likely have a more consistent quality of animation. The old style really jumps all over the place sometimes, especially with the different animating teams they used.

On the other hand, I think modern day anime tends to have really soul-less, bland art. There are definitely exceptions, but the way I see it the majority look completely devoid of personality or individual artistic touch. There's something to say about the fact that, even though this is an action cartoon, art is still art. The modern way may be more efficient and polished, but the human element of artwork can't be undervalued. And I feel that it has become undervalued in modern anime, and even moreso in modern animated television in the US. You can see the personality in the characters with the old art. But even the brief glimpses of the new art that we sometimes get in the mid-episode still and opening/ending music seems less 'human' somehow. It's really an entirely subjective experience, but that makes sense because art itself is subjectively enjoyed. So there's my two cents. This would make an interesting, more general topic in the "general anime" section as well.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote