Thread: Licensed Kaichou wa Maid-sama [Manga]
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-31, 18:12   Link #232
zigantz22

Unfortunately, this was a below average, uninteresting chapter; easily the lowest mark of this otherwise great arc.

The lack of Usui really hurt this chapter, since I feel the "events" of this chapter could and should have been told in a far more balanced manner, while also filtering Usui into it, similar to how it was done so well in previous chapters. For the first time, it really seemed like the story is starting to drag considerably, which is mostly due to the sole focus on Misaki's preparation, which, though usually interesting and engaging, faltered a bit due to the prevalence of Tora and Hinata, the worst characters by far. Tora remains incredibly unlikable, since all he's good for is to be a condescending jackass towards Misaki and Usui, which certainly didn't change in this chapter.

I mean, am I supposed to actually think that her conversation with a pathetic Hinata who should have moved on to Suzuna a long time ago and her brief dance with Tora that was solely written so delusional shippers of them could find one "shippable" moment in the entire manga is worth the month-long wait, because it really, really wasn't.

This was essentially a glorified shipping chapter that, aside from the final page, will have no further implications on the rest of this arc, since the story definitely won't pursue a tangent that has Tora falling for her, so I can only describe this as filler. Thankfully, at the very least, I'm grateful that this sort of chapter is out of the way so the story can return to things that are far more important, relevant, and satisfying to read.

I love the theme of this arc, since it's entirely concerning Misaki and Usui's long-distance separation and their ability to cope through it, inevitably culminating with Misaki going to England, and it definitely feels appropriately lengthy, since this is most likely the final arc, but there needs to be some energy thrown into the narrative, because, at this point, the pace would be better served by hastening Misaki's arrival to England, as that portion of the arc will proably be just as lengthy and far more enjoyable than this part.
zigantz22 is offline   Reply With Quote