View Single Post
Old 2012-11-09, 01:44   Link #3772
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(comedy is so hit-and-miss for me, because it really depends on your sense of humour).
Yes, it is quite variable and subjective among the readers. There are a lot of factors which I believe contribute to a comedic moment that would make them "click" for me. Some of them include character traits present, setting, specific situation, wordplay, and overall wittiness. (boke gags) Though I can't say no to a good ribald joke.

As visual novels aren't exempt from a certain form of intertextuality, I find this also applies to the comedy. Most comedic moments are repeated, sometimes text for text with very much similar situations and contexts among visual novels. For example, there is the gag of the person completely clueless to sex - a sort of "pure" type. Most of the time, they ask the main character or another person about something just mentioned, which usually leads to some humorous denial among those within earshot who are in the know, which then leads to the punchline from the person.

This works for me sometimes, if the factors above I mentioned are present - proper timing, setting, situation, character traits, flow from story, etc. - but there are other times it falls completely flat. A recent example from Dracu-Riot was the character Reo, who had this particular trait, but I found most moments with it "unfunny" as it were. The specific reasons why are not something I'll lay out in a technical fashion, but I'll point out that there were other characters from other games who made the joke "click".

However, using the same game mentioned, I did find Myu's inability to keep a straight face while cracking green jokes hilarious. Repetitive, but it "worked" for me, and made me chuckle each time I read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I agree that a trial should give you some kind of indication if there will be humour. It's unlikely that if the common route does not have much humour, then that the character routes will completely change into comedies. Although the reverse is more happens more often that the character routes ended up having less comedy than the common route (like certain routes in Renai 0 km)
I think it's pretty much certain that the formula for galge (specifically chara-ges and the similar sub-genres) require much of the humor concentrated on the common routes, as the character routes are used much more for drama (and sex). It's part of why I gravitate more towards those types of games and not to other sci-fi, mystery, thriller, etc., type novels, since they provide the most bang per buck. (Pun literally not intended - I refer to their comedic natures )