View Single Post
Old 2012-06-15, 21:54   Link #29184
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I would dispute this. We have no particular way of comprehending how Beatrice thinks as a means of actually accomplishing anything, just that she has certain definitions or factual gimmicks which she uses to justify her methodology, which is basically "yadda yadda fake death EVERYBODY LIED." And you can reach this conclusion factually without actually thinking very hard about what Beatrice actually wants. It wasn't ever actually necessary to understand her to understand her works on a technical, mystery level.
By "methodology" you seem to mean the howdunnit, which is only part of the mystery. But even just that part requires us growing used to her "gimmicks"- which is still part of the "understanding" process I was talking about (I never said it was necessarily difficult to do in the first place). The whodunnit and, even more so, the whydunnit require somewhat more understanding.

Quote:
Except it isn't, because it never actually meditates on that theme for any significant amount of time. Or... well, much at all really. Ryukishi made a handful of trite observations about a genre, most of which were grossly inaccurate or not new in any way, and never bothered to ask what any of them mean. That aside, your observation doesn't really jive with the fact (well, "fact?") that Umineko isn't a mystery anyway. It doesn't honestly think very hard about the intersection of mystery and fantasy, or about mystery or fantasy individually, in any fashion that really merits any thought or discussion. The only meaning along those lines that you might find is meaning you could probably find anywhere.
I completely disagree with every single assertion here.

Quote:
The only "metafiction about ... how the Mystery author interacts with the Mystery reader" is the meta-metafiction surrounding Ryukishi toying with his own audience.
Well, I would at least agree that RK07 is pretty pretentious in his writing and how he treats his audience. But so what? I find his work interesting, and in the end that's all that matters.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote