View Single Post
Old 2006-05-14, 07:35   Link #24
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Enjoyment of anime varies for various people
This is the key point - while Obi does have a point in that not all people hate GSD, he is rather blunt and reckless when defending it himself.

I do believe that GSD is a stinking pile of shit, but I also believe that it could have been one of the best anime shows ever if the production hadn't been so plagued, and with a few changed elements. What GSD most fundamentally lacks is feeling and suspense.

Quote:
Saying that Destiny has one sided battles is just fun, especially when Amuro Ray goe s and own everything except Char in the UC series,
Yeah, but the difference is that while Amuro and the other UC pilots have their moments of pure ownage, they also have their "holy freaking crap, I almost died!" moments.

The number of moments like these for the main pilots in GSD can be counted on one hand, and some may even be disqualified, for example the destruction of Freedom - we already knew that it was going to be destroyed or seriously maimed, and Kira didn't think anything about it later other than that he lost Lacus' precious sword. Besides these there are other things that make the battles so one-sided.

Sure, Amuro took out nine Rick Doms while they were exiting Side 6, a very impressive tally. However, Shinn took on 30 Windams and Neo, and won. Of course, the Windams didn't actually do anything, all Shinn had to do was to shoot a Windam, block a shot from Neo, rinse and repeat - that's a one-sided battle, since the Windams were there just to blow up. Then Kira took out 25 GOUFs and ZAKUs and three Nazca-class ships in two minutes with SF, and he toyed with the Babis in Freedom in episode 26, and Shinn toyed with Destroys in the last 12 episodes.

The scale is completely different. While the main pilots in UC certainly do kill their share of enemies and are important presences on the battlefield, it's because they're the Good Guys - they're supposed to win. However, they do still face challenges, and the ordinary grunts don't usually hang still in the air waiting for a subsonic boomerang to nail both of them.

Look at the last episodes of GS, with the battles against the druggies. There was suspense, Kira's life was in danger several times, it made for excellent fights despite some instances of reused animation since there was that aura of suspense.

Now look at GSD - there's just the reused animation, with no feelings behind it.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote