Thread: Licensed Tenjo Tenge!
View Single Post
Old 2004-04-06, 15:08   Link #80
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by emessen
tell that to the people in this thread who are trying to sell the story as something deep
and profound... that has good character development and actual plot
Not to further fan the flames, but I think you somewhat misunderstood me here. My apologies--I should've been clearer from the start. I should've underlined 'coherent' and 'clear' rather than the word, 'demand'.

What I meant was that the story of TT doesn't have a clear and coherent storyline that's structured in the conventional way. The plot is practically comprised of interconnecting layers of sidestories that make up what TT is all about. That's why I said, "it just is." In fact, some readers were confused with regard to who the main character really is. Some characters are arguably at least as prominent as the protagonist. It may not also go anywhere really significant in the end. For all we know, it could probably just end in having won the last battle and that's it, but no way is the plot totally worthless.

I guess you can compare this to, let's say the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon--wherein you have interrelated stories placed along with another to form the basic plot. In this movie, you have a love story, a story of revenge, some drama, martial art philosophy and action--all the while the movie seeks to attain an adventurous vibe by having a broad range in setting. (the city, mountains, desert, etc.) Can you then tell me where the climax of the story is? From where does it really begin and where does it really end in relation to the main conflict? More importantly, can you trace the rising action and the falling action of the plot? And what is the main conflict of the movie anyway?

I think it's almost the same for Tenjo Tenge. I'm not saying both are absolutely comparable to one another. TT isn't even remotely as 'deep' as this movie. It's from a manga and I'm also aware that this is being made purely for entertainment--fanservice and all. (In fact, it's on a 'lower level' compared to a movie which has won a few awards.) But I feel the stories of both share a certain manner of showing the way things are. There is a story, and it does have a plot that actually goes somewhere. The story and character development may be messy and badly written for some, but saying that there's no sense in the story at all is just too much. They're there, but not everybody will like the way they're presented. With regard to stereotypes on the other hand...hmmm. I don't think there are that many so far.

On another note, I think I'm also stretching the comparison a bit too far. Heh, I don't think I'm making much sense anymore. This is just my opinion on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteranime
I really like the opening, it's quite orginal. What do you guys think?
I liked it too. Especially the part where Bob dances and where Nagi rushes to the group of thugs who were portrayed like bowling pins. Oh, and the very first part as well. It's like trying to be self-referential by showing, that this is an anime adaptation of the manga.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote