View Single Post
Old 2012-02-05, 14:55   Link #829
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Indeed, though I wouldn't be surprised if Rias (and thus the people she would gather around herself) is more of an exception than a rule among the devils. I'm sure that we will get to see some despicable ones as well as the show goes on. Like the guy at the end of episode 5 - I'm pretty sure that's a devil, and not of the friendly sort, seeing we see him and Issei clash in the OP.

Though yeah, the fallen angels are probably as low as it gets.
See, that's the thing; what is the justification of portraying Devils as being evil in culture?

Devils are originally caricatures. Creatures who serve no purpose but to terrify humans. They do evil for evil's sake, with no net personally benefit whatsoever. They are hollow because that's all they were; just like how Angels are nothing more than shallow portrayals of divine slaves doing the will of their master.
Once you start to install personalities, emotions, and free will into these ancient concepts, they couldn't fit the old image any more.

In short, humans are not the only ones who want to have meaning in their lives; Angel and Devil do too. And since religion only caters to humans and nowhere else, the supernatural entities have to make their own path.

This reminded me of a comment made in the 2nd season of Mahoromatic, by the antagonist android. She made the observation that supposedly humans have a heaven to look forward to, but androids like her don't even get the privilege of having a place in Hell.

The movie Dogma also made the same argument. That humans are loved, but Angels are not. If you are not human, you are religiously irrelevant.