View Single Post
Old 2012-08-21, 12:08   Link #234
MrPopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
As for all of these girls being cute, well, it's TV, what do you expect?
Yes, that's precisely what my issue is about. The knee jerk counterargument is "this stuff isn't unusually because it's TV", but that's precisely my point. By acknowledging that "it's TV", suspension of disbelief is broken right there. If the viewers can't buy into the credibility of the setting, which is the main selling point that separates this show from just another generic fantasy, then the show is doing itself a disservice from a storytelling perspective. The fact that the payoff for this disservice is to steer this show closer to harem territory is salt on the wound. I may be optimistic for saying this, but I feel that the show's core concept has enough appeal that it doesn't have to incorporate harem elements to raise sales (notice I said harem elements, please don't accuse me of labeling this show as a harem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I sort of take this "so many girls, and they're all attractive!" as a bit akin to an earlier conversation about the way the story is choosing the scenes to showcase. If you think of these last episodes as "Kirito's selected highlights from the game 'till now"... it may be that his most significant moments in the game "just so happened" to all involve attractive women. I'm not sure if that's all that unlikely a view for a boy his age...
I guess that does make sense and each episode was significant in it's own way. Still doesn't mean I have to like the pattern I'm seeing here.