View Single Post
Old 2010-01-11, 15:24   Link #2075
Mirrored

Random Comments

I think that Umineko is not actually a Fantasy or a Mystery, but it is actually in the genre of Romance.

While we continually see the struggle between Fantasy and Mystery which continually ends in stalemate, there is a possibility of something that could break it.

Both Bern and Lambda do not see a possibility for Beatrice to win, none whatsoever. However, it is continually mentioned starting at the 4th episode, that only with Love can the truth be seen. It is hinted at during Episode 3 that Beatrice's method of winning is to have Battler actually accept her. Blah blah blah, continual Love Love Love hammering thematically during both 4 and 5. The Golden Truth is then gained after a particularly loveydovey "I understand you" moment in 5.

Thus, the way out of the endless game is only if Beatrice wins and Battler accepts her as a witch, something he would not do out of logic, but would be willing to do out of love.

The story itself meets the requirements of the Romance Genre and I fully expect it to end with a Romantic ending.