View Single Post
Old 2008-12-04, 01:52   Link #21
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Guess that person was expecting Lucky Star DVD sales numbers which were more then double the sales that Kannagi had, the most recent Lucky Star DVD (OVA) sold nearly around 32,000 in it's first week.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-24-october-14
Well, yeah. Lucky Star is sort of in this bizarre upper tier that few shows ever reach. It's almost like it's on the verge of crossing into the mainstream, and even people who don't normally buy anime DVDs "must have it". It probably has something to do with the animation studio, something to do with the publishing company/magazine, and something to do with the show itself. It's a magical formula that I'm not sure how easy it is to duplicate. Kannagi is probably about the closest I've seen done from the "outside", but it was definitely designed/engineered with at that in mind (and makes perfect sense given the key staff). It'll be interesting to watch the trends for future volumes. I think this could be the sort of show that keeps or builds momentum, and that's also a good thing.

The only thing that kills me personally these days is the whole Blu-Ray issue. I hate when companies don't just come right out and solicit Blu-Rays right away, because it makes you wonder if they're just going to wait until just after they release all the DVDs to announce it... (Pony Canyon, I'm looking at you here... )
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote