View Single Post
Old 2012-11-24, 00:41   Link #200
Midonin
Last Engage

Hidamari x Honeycomb 08 - A Little Late for Halloween, Isn't It?

Such a well-done episode. So many little character moments that exemplified the best of Hidamari Sketch. There were NoriNazu moments, HiroSae moments, YunoMiya moments, and appearances from everyone short of Chika and the landlady. (When is Chika going to show up in this season? She's been a constant.) I loved the motif of the spider at the beginning and the end, with Yuno appreciating it for its webbed art. And the second half of the show looked to have a motif of hands running through it. Miya's hand, Yuno's artist's hand and a fake plastic hand.

Making even the reception desk scary is just the kind of thing I'd expect art students to do - along with a highly liberal adaptation of Shakespeare. Hiro Shimono was the right guy to get for such a role. And the Monta-牛 pun is cheap and terrible - just the way I like it. The thread of Yuno and Arisawa's relationship was continued, with Yuno making an active effort to continue texting her, and Yuno and her parents are more alike than Yuno thinks, even if she finds them embarrassing.

Even the throwaway lines are wonderful, such as Nazuna wondering if Sae and Hiro were doing an udon art exhibit (come to think of it, that sounds kinda cool). And Yoshinoya. Oh my, Yoshinoya. She only got about three scenes, but stole the show in every one of them. She makes a fine Sexy!Momotaro, and the failed bonfire hijacking is perfectly timed silent comedy. I've seen many, many, many episodes set at school festivals, and this one is strengthened by everything before it. It produces more laughs than tears, but that undercurrent of Yuno coming into her own gives it a poignant feeling.

I think I need nearly as many words to write about this episode as Yuno does to write about her pamphlet. And why shouldn't I? There's plenty to be proud of.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote