Thread: Licensed 5 Centimeters per Second
View Single Post
Old 2009-09-09, 21:13   Link #1088
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielvutran View Post
yeah definitely would have helped if they showed her High School life. I saw the part with her and the guy walking together after school and she looks in the mail box as well, but there are just 2 things that bothered me in this movie, that can be explained if they both just didn't love each other as portrayed fully..

the first is how come none of them sent even one letter afterwards? and not even a text message saying "hi " or even anything like that? I got the impression that they were both waiting for it, and I believe they were since in the flashbacks they were both staring at their mailboxes. I mean, their love at a young age seemed timeless, and yet I don't understand why not even one of them could say hello and ANYTHING at all, I mean, I know if I were in either of their positions, i would at least try and talk to them in some way, shape, or form.
I think they slowly lost touch, I don't think it was a sudden stop, at least not on his part.

Quote:
and the second is how come she didn't look back after the train? and yes I know about the whole "moving on" aspect, however, if she truly loved him as much as he did / does (debatable), then wouldn't she at least stop there and say hi? or at least TALK to the dang guy. I mean, you can argue that she didn't want to bring up her past again, but why not? It was cause some conflict in her emotions sure, but in the end, it would only better herself. if she ends up falling in love with him again, then obviously she wasn't going to be truly happy with her fiance / husband, and so in the end, they both sort of win. Her fiance now knows that if they did get married, she wouldn't be as happy as she is with him (Takaki). And Takaki and Akari would obviously be happy as well. And if she finds out that she still has feelings for him, but finds out that she loves her current husband / fiance more, then it only justifies her love for him now. And she won't ever question marrying her fiance later on in her life if she ever stops and thinks "what if?" about Takaki.

But then again, this too, could be explained by her just not wanting to deal with any ''drama'' in her life. which is a bit immature, considering this is sort of taking the ''easy'' way out.
When they crossed paths she already had someone important to her, someone more important than him. And after ten years time and having someone in your heart, the old is "thrown out" for the new.

Quote:
Sigh, I guess I am just disappointed in both of these characters. Not the way they were made, but the way they acted. And I know it's meant to not be a ''cheesy'' movie, but why not?

In the beginning, I took this movie as a good ending, with both of them moving on with their lives, and Takaki finally being able to leave his past behind and move on. However, now when I put even more thought into it, it seems like a truly sad movie. because to me, neither character is truly happy. and they will ALWAYS wonder, what if?
I think he is the only one who will look back. She did think of him, but only after she found the letter she never gave him. Someone said in an earlier post that if they had exchanged letters that night things would have been completely different. Perhaps they both knew happy times like they had that night would never happen again.

Quote:
they loved each other when they were young, and from what I saw, the only thing separating them was distance . in comparison to other couples, where there are a multitude of things that make them break up (arguments, pet peeves, etc).
They lived really, really far away. More than a day's travel. They also were not committed to each other like a true couple - they were kids who unspokenly loved each other.

Quote:
sigh, I hate this movie, it is so sad. and only because of the character's questionable actions. but I suppose that's what makes it realistic. you can't have a movie featuring 2 smart people who know how to solve every situation and live happily ever after, lol.

SSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH ohh well..............
I don't hate this movie, its not a favorite since it was so bitter sweet, but it left an impression that will never be forgotten. I doubt I'll ever watch it again since it was painful to watch at times, more than being happy, but I won't forget it. Its like School Days, I hate that anime with a passion but I hate it because of its greatness - if it was crappy it wouldn't have left such an impression on me. Thank god this movie had a better ending.