Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-08-08, 06:15   Link #3517
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
@solomon: Honestly, much of the current "popularity" polls are a little unimportant...right now at least. Besides some of the polls detailing what Americans think are the msot important issues (and other issue based polls), these popularity polls will not actually matter until 2010 and then, most importantly, in the 2012 race. Since the Recovery Package/Stimulus Bill is really supposed to take effect in 2010 and finish by 2012 (therebouts), people's opinion of Obama, and their local governors/representatives/senators, will undoubtedly increase in those years quite a bit. Consequently, the current Republican strategy is to try and cut off as much of the Independent support as they can early on, and hope none of them decide to go back in the years to come (after the economy starts chugging along again).

@LynnieS: I partially agree. I would also rate Obama as about a C (average) currently, but my rating is mostly due to the fact that he is not properly handling the discussion/agenda he wishes to enact, instead letting himself be side-tracked by pointless issues and not fully explaining what he wants or why what he wants can be "good" (not to say that everything in his agenda is "good") for the country/people. That being said, even if he could take full command over the discussion, I would still only rate him a B- to a B, considering that several of his policies are still fairly weak.
The act isn't supposed to take action till NEXT year??! Damn, could have fooled me with all the hype. The most high profile result of that is public works programs, primarliy relating around infrastructure. There would have been more visible action (IMHO) if the application process wasn't so cumbersome and states actually managed their previous tax/savings policies effectively, so a good chunk of the stimulus cash WOULDN'T have been eaten up by paying off state debt.

I guess you can blame the prez for not making drastic enough action, but states have a big share of fault mismanaging their budgets which helped lead into this pickle (Michigan, Penn and Cali are particular offenders)