View Single Post
Old 2011-12-14, 19:50   Link #26360
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
But you're saying the correct way to act for Battler would be according your moral values. This would be fair if he were living in your country and had access to them and could chose if to follow them or not. He has access to the mentality of his own country therefore what he deems right is bound to be different from what you deem right.
It is not any more a Cultural Value that it is alright to hide the truth from people for their own good any more than it is an American Cultural Value or anywhere else.

Also I'm Japanese so your whole argument is invalid.

Quote:
And technically she can choose to kill herself even if she were to tell the truth.
The problem is we're making speculations. This makes everything we say a guess, a blue truth if you want, but not a red truth. Therefore any argument becomes irrelevant.
Then the only way we can find out is to tell her the truth. We might as well give her what she wants because we know what she'll do if she DOESN'T get it (suicide attempt), but we don't know how she'll react WITH it. The odds are in my side's favor.

Quote:
We don't know what had happened in Rokkenjima. It can be they had a happy halloween celebration... at first. Then maybe the kids went to bed, the adults had an arguments and started shooting people.
And Beatrice and Kanon and Shannon were all separate people and Kinzo was alive and gave Beatrice the gold and Krauss the headship?

Yea, I doubt it. Battler lied, there's no way around it.

Quote:
Yes, I agree it's not the exact truth but since she knew which one were the lies I'll say it was fair game.
NO, SHE DIDN'T. Battler kept TELLING her she didn't, and that what she learned from the media and the forgeries were wrong and she should just trust what he had to say. With that in mind, she doesn't have any choice but to take his story at face value without accusing Battler of being deceptive.

Quote:
It's a matter of opinion. He's still her relative, he still cares for her and she's still a minor. Legally he could claim custody on her.
No, he can't. 1986 Battler is dead, and Toya isn't mentally well enough to claim custody under Japanese law. Moreover, Ange can appeal for legal independence any time she wants and probably get it because no one's around to really insist otherwise.

Quote:
Again, in his world she's legally a child.
Battler is wrong, though. Therefore he is incorrect, morally. He is imposing paternalistic childhood expectations on someone who is not a child in any sense of the word. You do not understand Japanese law as well as you seem to think so, so this entire legal side of your argument is completely useless to you. I advise dropping it.

Quote:
Ange however hadn't done it. As long as she doesn't they have the duty to take care for her.
But she has the option, so they can't force anything on her and probably shouldn't. And Battler is in no position to be a caregiver for Ange whatsoever. Not even Meta-Battler is because he's not real in the strictest sense of the word.

Quote:
I told you, if Ange was of major Ange I wouldn't discuss the fact she's free to do as she pleases. The same would apply if she were to have legal independence.

It would be her right.

But she as things are she doesn't have such right which can be sad and in other countries even wrong or illegal but in hers is perfectly fine.
That's something she should learn to deal with.
She has the right EITHER WAY though. Children still have rights that supercede what their legal guardians might otherwise have in mind. More to the point, everyone in the discussion was talking about philosophical and moral senses of right and wrong, not legal ones. Legal rights and moralities are completely fucking useless and arbitrary in a discussion of philosophical Truth.